Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Observing Remembrance Day & Celebrating Liberation Day


We observed Remembrance Day (the 4th of May) with our dear B, who will be off to France ; as usual thoughtful, loving and caring she invited us to dinner before her trip. It was a lovely bonding evening

After midnight (5th of May)***, when beloved P and I reached home we waved the Dutch flag to celebrate Liberation Day.

As you will read from the link  above, on Remembrance Day at 8:00 p.m., two minutes of silence are observed throughout the Netherlands.

To pay tribute to this day, I've combined the365~ self-portrait  images taken on the 4th, and the 5th in a collage.  For me to do this, I had to switch the blog (the emergency placeholder blog!) I posted yesterday with this post, you are currently reading (written on the 5th of May).  Now, you will see what was posted on this blog space you are currently reading once again as the most recent post (5th of May).***



I have to be honest that it is only this year, that I am slowly having a feel for all the special dates that is observed and celebrated in Holland, and I did not take in consideration, nay, I totally forgot, that the 4th was Remembrance Day *bows head in shame*.  Next year, I will have a better, more organized Dutch calendar.


This blog is my small step towards it.

BlogNote:
***I do realise this will not make sense to anyone except me.  But if one did saw the post which was on this space, then this will be a helpful information to lend a bit clarity to why the original post "disappeared" and you are reading these words now.

 I took the liberty as a publisher of this blog page to switch post because I wanted to mark Remembrance Day.  The lesson I have learned: as much as I would like to be a spontaneous blogger, I do need to organize a calendar, and plan blogs ahead according to the calendar for this complicated (explaining and...) switching of post not to happen again!.

No comments:

Post a Comment