Thursday, June 12, 2014

This Is For Anne

 En wie gelukkig is, zal anderen gelukkig maken.

(English translation of the Dutch quote above)

“Whoever is happy will make others happy.” 


A fragment from Anne Frank's Diary. She wrote:  
This is the photo as I would wish myself to look all the time. Then I would maybe have a chance to come to Hollywood. But presently, I look different from it most of the time. -

Anne Frank. 10. Oct. 1942 Sunday.






Today, Anne Frank would have celebrated her 85th birthday.

I am revisiting many favorite quotes from her but this time in Dutch to remind me to buy her book in Dutch version. 

When I was a little girl, I read her book in English for the first time. 


15 years after I read her book, I was finally able to fulfill my childhood wish of visiting Anne Frank House


1997/1998 (?)
This set of pics were photographed from a video of our German culinary school trip. Mijn liefste P found the tape in one of our boxes, when we moved in together. We showed it to the girls, I think 4-5 years ago.


I can't recall exactly what the name of the place we stayed as students but I remember/walked past it together with P  and the girls on the rare occasion we all visit Amsterdam.

There, and then I bought a copy of her book in German (since I was living in Germany for 4 years then, and I thought it would be a both a joy and a challenge to read it in the language I was learning to be fluent in).


10 years after I visited Amsterdam for the first time, I met Piet, and 2 years later I moved to the Netherlands. 



This image was taken on the 8th of August, 2007;
it is 10 years later since I first visited 
Anne Frank House(1997 during our (German) culinary school trip to Amsterdam), and the first time P t and I visited it together.
We were not able to go in because it was half an hour to closing time but came back 11 days later, and left a leaf on the Virtual Anne Frank Tree.


Since 2010, I have been trying to learn and improve my Dutch fluency. 



This photo was taken on the day I officially finished my first intensive Dutch course @ AMSU Summer 2010
(27th of August)
. I had to proudly "tell Anne" about it.


Looking back at all the dates, I have to think of the coincidences with the dates. How they all seem to coincide with milestones/unforgettable moments related to my running.

A year after this picture was taken I started with running.

8th of August, 2007 (first visit with P to Anne Frank House) - 8th of August, 2011 four years later, I literally took first steps in running goals. I walked 8 km (this time Littlest was in her jogger).

27th of August, 2010 (I finished my 1st Dutch intensive course) - 28th of August, 2011, I ran my first ever 5K in Amsterdam Bos. 

Just something random…I would like to later share more about @Happy Feet in the Netherlands

I think at this point, I can read Anne Frank's Diary in the language she originally wrote it. This thought brings me both bliss and wistfulness. 





30 years, many travels later, I would be able to understand the girl who brought me to Europe with her words, in her own words.

She inspired me as a child to express myself through writing. Her story brought fulfillment to many childhood dreams. 


 “All her 'would haves' are our real possibilities.

All her 'would haves' are our opportunities." 
at the launch of the Virtual Anne Frank Tree.
By leaving a leaf in the virtual Anne Frank Tree, 
you can show that the diary of Anne Frank has inspired you, too.
 http://www.annefrank.org/annefranktree

(Mijn liefste P and I did so on the 19th of August, 2007 :) - just checked it! )


Her courage motivates me to never give up; most of all she reminds me to live life to the fullest.

This picture was originally posted on the blog
The Happy Face at The Finish Line - Reflections & Celebrating the 101st blogpost.

I was wearing the bib of "Anne" because it was given to me by a runner friend, whose cause (MS Research) I am supporting. Like her name sake Anne Frank, my runner friend Anne  inspires me to live life to the fullest.
Please click on her name to know more about
how she is walking the marathon in support of MS (Multiple Sceloris) Research



(All images, which are not mine are from Google Images )

No comments:

Post a Comment